Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Proposed Closure - One Week On

Kia ora koutou Burnham whanau,
The last week has been a very difficult one for our children, our teachers, our parents, our BOT and our
community, as it has been for other communities in Christchurch and surrounding areas.  We are still reeling
from the proposed decision to close Burnham School in January 2015.
I would like to acknowledge the professionalism of our staff, who after just 15 minutes of finding out that the
Minister of Education had announced that our school was proposed for closure, fronted up to our parent
meeting.  They also turned up the following day to teach our children and to attempt to answer their
questions as well as those of parents when they were still so confused themselves.  To our staff you are an
amazing group of people!  You should be proud of the support you have shown our community over the last
week.  I am!
To our parents and community members you too have shown your aroha and support for our school in your
determination and your concerted efforts to attempt to change our Minister of Education’s decision.  This
determination has given our staff and BOT strength.
To our children who know what is right and what is wrong, you too have show strength and self-belief.  A
stranger who entered our school grounds on Monday afternoon was met by a group of five and six year olds;
who as soon as they saw her began to jump up and down singing ‘Save our School’.  Our children have
mobilised, they have organised a petition, created videos about the importance of Burnham School, have
made posters for cars at BOOST, have helped to paint posters, have started to write letters and have even
phoned the principal at Waiouru and asked her for help.
To our wider community including the NZDF who have telephoned, sent e-mails offering support, provided
staff with morning tea and someone to talk to and seek advice from.  Thank you.  Your thoughts and good
wishes at this time have been gratefully received.
The fight to save Burnham School has just begun - we will keep soldiering on until we have convinced the
Minister of Education that she has not taken into account the size of Burnham, the unprecedented growth in
our area, the unique nature of our school and special way in which our school is able to support our NZDF
families and children, especially when a parent is deployed overseas or away training.  We will also seek
clarification around the 3.5 million which is supposedly required to bring our school up to 66% of the current
building code and is a reason why the MOE has decided our school is uneconomic to bring up to code.  Yet
no one has been to our school to complete the DEE (Detailed Engineering Evaluation), this figure has been
calculated using a desktop survey only.
I have been invited to attend a meeting with the MOE on Thursday evening, along with other principals and
BOT chairpersons of schools proposed to close or merge.  Hopefully, we will return with a greater
understanding of exactly what the proposed community consultation will look like.
The BOT and myself will endeavor to keep everyone informed of what is happening.  Please come along to
our community meeting at 1500hrs/3pm and find out more and share your ideas on how to move forward.
Sandra Keenan
Acting Principal


Post a Comment